The assessment process consists of the following steps.
1. Planning assessment: the assessor develops an assessment plan detailing how each unit or qualification will be assessed.
The internal verifier reviews and agrees the assessment plan to ensure that it is fit for purpose.
2. Selecting assessment methods: the assessor selects the most appropriate assessment methods.
Some units or qualifications require specific assessment methods to be used.
If the assessment method is not prescribed, a variety of appropriate methods can be used to evaluate a learners' achievement against each assessment criterion.
3. Devising assessment tasks: the assessor ensures that all assessment tasks are appropriate for the cohort of learners and are accurately mapped to all relevant assessment criteria.
It's not necessary to prescribe an individual task for each assessment criterion. An assessment task can be used to meet several assessment criteria .
The internal verifiers verifies the assessment tasks before learners begins the course.
4. Initial assessment: the assessors decides if the chosen units and/or qualifications are suitable for the learners.
The assessor considers learners’ previous academic achievements and their pre-course assessment outcomes.
5. Formative assessment: the assessor assesses learners’ progress throughout the duration of the course and provides ongoing feedback and support.
6. Summative assessment: this is the final assessment.
The assessor reviews and assesses all the evidence and evaluates whether the learner has demonstrated achievement against all assessment criteria and all learning outcomes.
The internal verifier must approve the validity of the assessment decision before credits are awarded.
7. Course evaluation: learners are asked to provide feedback on their course.
Recognised centres use learners’ feedback to inform the review and development of their courses.
8. Award of credit(s): if the internal verifier agrees with the assessors' judgements, the centre can claim credits for all learners who have successfully achieved the unit(s)/qualification.
At this stage, we will carry out external quality assurance.
For further guidance and to access assessment templates please read our Guide to Assessment.